#MatchedByInterface companies in the news (September 2021)
Here are some companies that we have proudly supported:
- Interface have brokered several connections for the thermal energy storage firm Sunamp with the University of Edinburgh, Heriot-Watt University, and University of Strathclyde. The original collaboration brokered by Interface to University of Edinburgh was awarded as a £5,000 Innovation Voucher from the Scottish Funding Council, since then the company has scaled considerably. We are proud to hear that in the past month Sunamp received a £6 million investment from the Scottish National Investment Bank. The funding will be used to increase its sales, scale up production, and to accelerate its international expansion. In this case study, explore how we collaborated with Sunamp to help them develop their batteries: Sunamp Heat Batteries | Interface Knowledge Connection (interface-online.org.uk)
- Through working with Interface Coastr received an Innovation Voucher from the Scottish Funding Council to collaborate with Edinburgh Napier University. The Scottish car rental start-up Coastr have gone on to receive £1.4m of funding through London-based investment platform GroVentive. Using software such as AI, telematics and direct integrations, they offer a cloud-based vehicle rental management platform which lets independent vehicle rental businesses become digitised.
- Interface has worked with Scottish biopharmaceutical firm EnteroBiotix , through which they have received an Innovation Voucher from the Scottish Funding Council to collaborate with the University of Dundee, and Glasgow Caledonian University. The firm, based at Strathclyde Business Park, has secured $21.5m in Series A financing to help advance its microbiome drug.
- Sustainable Thinking Scotland (STS) are the first social enterprise in Scotland to secure investment from Firstport and Social Enterprise Scotland's Catalyst Fund. £190,000 has been invested in the biochar business to help them bring their technology to market. Sustainable Thinking Scotland CIC were matched via brokerage with both the University of the Highlands & Islands (UHI) and the University of Strathclyde, as well as receiving an Innovation Voucher from the Scottish Funding Council.
- Interface has worked with The Scottish Salmon Company on a few projects, matching them with the University of Highlands & Islands (UHI) and University of Aberdeen. In September it was announced that Bakkafrost, the Faroese company who own The Scottish Salmon Company, will invest £711m into the way salmon is farmed. The five-year plan is intended to raise production by 40% without acquiring new licences.
- We’re proud to have worked with Mercat Tours, who offer interactive tours around Scotland’s capital. Through brokerage by Interface the company has achieved successful collaborations with both the University of Edinburgh, and the University of Strathclyde. Although the hospitality and tourism sectors have been particularly affected by Covid-19, Mercat Tours have received support from The Data Lab who are providing assistance with restructuring, operations upgrades and staff training.
- Danu Robotics has received £4k for its robotic system from the University of Edinburgh’s 12 week Startup Summer Accelerator. Danu Robotics has worked with Interface and was awarded an Innovation Voucher for their project in collaboration with the University of Strathclyde, University of Edinburgh and Heriot-Watt University, which increases recycling efficiency.